Rouses - Baronne Street
The original Ponchartrain Motors (later Sewell Cadillac) building, constructed in 1954, is a fine example of low rise International Style architecture in the Warehouse District of New Orleans. Having been vacant for 5 years, Williams Architects teamed with Rouses to transform the former automobile dealership and service building into a vital downtown grocery store. Retaining defining elements of the former automobile showroom and the upper floor parking structure, the renovation/adaptive reuse merges three buildings into one with a large back of house space for food preparation. The restored showroom mirrors and wood paneling are complemented by sleek, urban interior design. Williams Architects worked with local, state and national historic preservation entities to preserve the historic character while revitalizing this downtown icon.